Now you can login using your social network passwords,


Login with your



Please login below will have no access to any personal information or passwords on these accounts.  



Last updateSun, 06 Nov 2016 10am

Back You are here: Home Entitlements Entitlements Housing Housing (General)

Housing (General)

New House Grant:
This grant which was available to first time buyers of new houses was discontinued in November 2002.

Local Authority Housing
Local authorities e.g. County Council or Corporation must allocate houses in accordance with a scheme of `letting priorities` more usually known as the `points system`. The local authority may (but does not have to) award particular priority to groups such as older people or people with disabilities. Many local authorities do, in fact, provide special housing units for older people.

Contact your local authority for details of availability Click here for a list of local authorities in Ireland

Local authorities may carry out improvements to private houses for people who are on the waiting list for local authority housing and may subsidise tenants who wish to leave local authority accommodation and buy a private house.

Shared Ownership Scheme
This scheme is intended for those who cannot afford to buy a house in the traditional way. Initially, ownership of the house is shared between the owner and the local authority. At the start you must buy 40% of the value of the house which you may fund by way of a local authority loan or a commercial mortgage. You pay rent to the local authority for its share of the house and then you gradually buy out its share over a number of years.

The local authority may give you a mortgage loan to pay for the share you are purchasing from it or you can contribute cash of your own. The house can be new or secondhand. There is no stamp duty for either. Legal costs are kept to a minimum. There is an income test. A single income household where the income was below €32,000 in the previous tax year may qualify. The income limit for a two income household is €80,000 (a special formula is used to calculate your income). In addition, where the household income in the preceding tax year is €25,500 or less a rent subsidy may also be payable.

For further information contact your local authority.
.Click here for a list of local authorities in Ireland

Disabled Person`s Grant
Scheme of Assistance on medical grounds for people with disabilities under the Housing Adaptation Grant Scheme for Older People and people with a disability.

The Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government have introduced Revised Housing Adaptation Grant schemes for Older people and people with a Disability which will replace the existing Disabled Persons Grant & Essential Repair Grant Schemes with effect from 01/11/2007.
Applications for a Disabled Persons Grant & Essential Repairs Grant Schemes received prior to 31/10/2007 will continue to be processed under the conditions of those schemes however

  • applicants may decide to withdraw their existing application and re-apply under the revised schemes.
  • where works have not yet commenced.

Housing Adaptation Grant Scheme for People with a Disability
The Housing Adaptation Grant for people with a disability is available to assist in the carrying out of works that are reasonably necessary for the purposes of rendering a house more suitable for the accommodation of a person with a disability who is a member of the household.
• Grant aid of 95% of the cost of the works to maximum of €30,000(including recoupment on cost of OT reports to maximum of €200)
• Prioritisation on Basis of medical need
• Means testing will apply

Mobility Aids Grants Scheme
The Mobility Aids Grant Scheme is available to fast track grant aid to cover a basic suite of works to address mobility problems, primarily, but not exclusively, associated with ageing, in order that recipients are not subject to delays in assessing works.
• Grant aid of 100% of the cost of the works to maximum of €6,000 (including recoupment on cost of OT reports to maximum of €200)
• Type of works: stairlift, level access shower, ramps, handrails
• Only 1 estimate required
• Means testing will apply

Housing aid for Older People Scheme
This scheme replaces the Essential Repairs Grants Scheme and will be administered by South Dublin County Council in respect of rewiring and re-roofing type works.
For further information on any of the above mentioned schemes please contact:

01-4149000 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
Fax 01 414 9013

  • Please note while South Dublin County Council are currently accepting application forms under the above mentioned schemes these applications will not begin to be processed until early 2008.

Apply to your local authority.
.Click here for a list of local authorities in Ireland

Further information on accessible housing is in the book `Buildings for Everyone`, available from:
The National Disability Authority (NDA), 25 Clyde Road, Dublin 4.
Tel: (01) 608 0400

Home Improvement Scheme for Older People
Health Boards operate a Home Improvement Scheme for older people. The purpose of this scheme is to improve the living conditions of older people living alone or in unfit or unsanitary conditions. The type of work carried out would be essential repairs, painting/decorating, provision of heating/water/sanitary facilities, fitting door locks and other security devices. The work is carried out as far as possible by FÁS trainees in order to keep the costs down. Where this is not possible local contractors may be used or a grant may instead be paid to the applicant.

Apply to your local Health Board.Click here for a list of Health Boards

Essential Repairs Grant
This grant is intended to be used to improve dwellings which are not fit for habitation, and thereby save having to move the occupant, often elderly, to local authority housing. It applies to rural and urban areas.

Apply to your local authority.
.Click here for a list of local authorities in Ireland

Local Authority House Improvement Loans
You may be eligible for a local authority home improvement loan if you can show the local authority that you cannot get a loan from a bank or building society and:

Your house needs improving, repairing or extending due to overcrowding and your income satisfies the income test below, or
You are registered on a housing waiting list with a local authority, or
You are a local authority tenant or a tenant purchaser and you want to buy a private house and return your present house to the local authority,
You are a tenant for more than one year of a home provided by a housing association under the Rental Subsidy Scheme and you want to buy a private house and return your present house to the local authority.

Note that the income test only applies to the first category; if you are covered by the second, third or fourth category you are exempt from the income test.

The income test
Single income household
If your gross income (before tax) in the last income tax year was 40,000 euro or less(from January 2006 previously the limit was 36,800 euro), you are eligible.

Two income households
Multiply the gross income (before tax) of the higher earner in the last income tax year by 2.5 and add the gross income of the other earner in the last income tax year. If the answer is 100,000 euro or less (from January 2006 previously the limit was 92,000 euro), you are eligible.

The maximum improvement loans are:

38,000 euro (or 50,000 euro on offshore islands) - or
15,000 euro where there is no mortgage.

The interest rate on these loans is the same as for house purchase loans. However, mortgage protection insurance is not provided on home improvement loans

Apply to your local authority.
.Click here for a list of local authorities in Ireland

Draughtproofing and Insulation
A free draught proofing and home insulation service is provided by a non-profit organisation in some parts of the country to pensioners living on their own and to persons receiving certain disability payments such as Invalidity Pension or Blind Pension and living alone.

For further information contact:
Energy Action, Unit 14, IDA Centre, Newmarket, Dublin 8.
Tel: (01) 454 5464 or Mobile (087) 261 1693

Voluntary Housing Organisations
Approved voluntary organisations may qualify for grants, loans and subsidies for the provision of housing for particular groups including those with disabilities.

Organisations should apply to the Department of the Environment and Local Government for approval and then to the local authority for the grants etc. Details of voluntary housing associations are available from:
Irish Council for Social Housing, 50 Merrion Square East, Dublin 2.
Tel: (01) 661 8334


JA Teline IV
New to the market

Bathroom Design

JA Teline IV
Whats New in Bathroom Design

Health Matters

JA Teline IV
Staying Healthy


Rehabilitation Providers