Now you can login using your social network passwords,


Login with your



Please login below will have no access to any personal information or passwords on these accounts.  



Last updateSun, 06 Nov 2016 10am

Back You are here: Home Entitlements Entitlements Benefits Disablement Benefit

Disablement Benefit

Where the level of disablement is assessed at 20% or more the benefit is paid by weekly or 4-weekly pension (called Disablement Pension). However, where the rate is assessed at less than 20%, the benefit is paid as a lump sum (called Disablement Gratuity).The size of the lump sum will vary depending on the degree of disablement and how long you are reasonably expected to be disabled.

If you are getting Disablement Benefit and you are unfit for work, you may qualify for Illness Benefit based on your social insurance contributions (PRSI). If you do not qualify for Illness Benefit or another social welfare payment, you may get Incapacity Supplement.


Your payment depends on the degree of your disablement, which is medically assessed. For assessments of less than 20%, Disablement Benefit will normally be a lump sum (gratuity). The size of the lump sum will vary depending on the degree of disablement and how long you are expected to be disabled. For assessments of 20% upwards, a pension is payable.

From 2011 if you have over 100% disablement, your maximum personal pension is €219.

A lump sum may be payable up to a maximum of €15,320 from 2011.

If you have between 20-90% disablement, your maximum personal pension is as follows:

Level of disablement Weekly payment in 2012

- 90%     €197.10
- 80%     €175.20
- 70%     €153.30
- 60%     €131.40
- 50%     €109.50
- 40%     €87.60
- 30%     €65.70
- 20%     €43.80

Up to 19% disablement:

A lump sum may be payable.

Incapacity Supplement

Weekly rate in 2012 Under 66 Over 66
Personal rate €188 €204.30
Increase for a Qualified Adult €124.80 €135.60
Increase for a Qualified Child €29.80 €29.80

Constant Attendance Allowance

Constant Attendance Allowance weekly rate is €205 in 2012. This payment is only made to certain people with over 50% disablement.

To qualify:

You may get Disablement Benefit if you suffer a loss of physical or mental faculty because of:

  • An accident at work
  • An accident while travelling (on an unbroken journey) directly to or from work
  • A prescribed occupational disease
  • Loss of physical or mental faculty

The extent of disablement is assessed following an examination by a Medical Assessor who will assess the extent of your loss of faculty as a result of your occupational accident or disease. "Loss of faculty" means your inability to enjoy a normal lifestyle because of the loss or partial loss of your ordinary physical or mental abilities as a result of your occupational injury or disease. In assessing the degree of loss of faculty, account is taken of how your current physical and mental condition compares to your pre-accident state of health and how you compare with a healthy person of the same age and sex.

Examples of assessments are as follows:



Loss of both hands 100%
Loss of one eye 40%
Loss of thumb 30%
Loss of 2 fingers of one hand 20%
Loss of index finger 14%

PRSI contributions

In order to qualify for Disablement Benefit, you must have been in employment on or after 1 May 1967, that was insurable at PRSI Class A, B, D, J or M, at the time that you sustained the accident or disease.

(Under the Occupational Injuries Scheme, civil servants insured at PRSI Class B are not eligible for Disablement Benefit for the first 26 weeks after the date of the accident. This is because for this 26 week period, civil servants continue to be paid by their parent Department. After this 26-week period, a civil servant is paid half their salary and half-rate Disablement Benefit).

Declaring an occupational injury

All work accidents or occupational diseases may not result immediately in illness or disablement. If you are not immediately incapacitated but wish to safeguard your future right to Disablement Benefit, you should notify your employer about the accident or disease and apply for a declaration that your accident or disease was an occupational one. This should be done without delay. Declaration forms are available from the Injury Benefit Section of Department of Social Protection (see 'Where to apply' below).

If your disablement occurs at a later stage, you should claim within three months of becoming aware of it.

Incapacity Supplement

This is an extra supplement with Disablement Pension. You may get Incapacity Supplement if you are permanently incapable of work as a result of an occupational accident or disease and do not qualify for another social welfare payment such as Illness Benefit. You may get an increase in your payment for an adult dependant and child dependants. Incapacity Supplement is not payable outside the EU. If you do not qualify for a State Pension at age 66, you can remain on Incapacity Supplement.

Constant Attendance Allowance

This allowance can be paid weekly as an increase to Disablement Pension if you are so seriously disabled as to need someone (a relative or some other person) to help you daily at home to attend to your personal needs for a period of at least 6 months. You must be getting a Disablement Pension of 50% or over. Entitlement to Constant Attendance Allowance is based on the recommendation of the Department’s medical advisor. You will not get the allowance during any period you are in a hospital or similar institution. Constant Attendance Allowance is not payable outside the EU.

Taxation of payments under the OIB Scheme

Disablement Benefit, Incapacity Supplement and Constant Attendance Allowance are taxable sources of income but you are unlikely to pay tax if they are your only income. Disablement Gratuity is not taxable.

Where to apply:

Department of Social Protection
Social Welfare Services Office
Government Buildings
Ballinalee Road

Tel:(043) 3334794
Locall:1890 927 770



JA Teline IV
New to the market

Bathroom Design

JA Teline IV
Whats New in Bathroom Design

Health Matters

JA Teline IV
Staying Healthy


Rehabilitation Providers